What is LAP-BAND® Surgery?
Also known as laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding, lap banding has been very popular since patients can expect to lose about 40-50% of their excess body weight in the first postoperative year. However, many people have recently been choosing the sleeve gastrectomy over the adjustable gastric band surgery since it tends to produce more consistent results.
- Must be 18 or older
- BMI of 40+ or BMI of 35 with serious weight-related illness
- Reduces the amount of food the stomach can hold
- Induces excess weight loss of approximately 40 to 50 percent
- Involves no cutting of the stomach or rerouting of the intestines
- Directly after surgery, many patients experience a sore, dry, slightly pained throat.
- Some patients are discharged their first day after surgery. Be sure to follow any discharge instructions and prescription procedures.
- Pains in the shoulder are normal; this is caused by a buildup of CO2 used in surgery.
- A liquid diet is generally recommended for the week following surgery.
- Continually monitor your incision sites for irritation or pain. Mention any irregularities to your doctor.